Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Hairy Business

Learning to do hair has been a bit of a drag compared to makeup but I'm finding myself enjoying it more and more. Working on a judy dolls is easy because the hair has been used so much, even though they are real and were probably really healthy at one point, it's just so worn now that it becomes really easy to work with. So far I've just been messing around and haven't used any products on the hair, so it's less than perfect because there are little bits sticking up that needs hairspray or pomade but it's all good.

Simple french roll. Tease the top and comb smooth and finish with a barrel roll. As you can see, the puff on top has not been perfected here yet. Still a little lumpy from behind.

Hair twisted all around and then pinned. Flower bun is pinned in place. I added some gorgeous Indian hair accessories to dress it up that belongs to my classmate. I love that stuff. If only Chinese people still continued to make them from what they used back then, but Indian stuff is actually very similar. I would love to do an Indian theme photo shoot.

Jackie wanted me to french braid her hair Princess Leia style. I'm quite proud of myself here because I rarely french braid and I remembered I used to love that look as a kid (well maybe not tucked under but long french braid) but no one really knew how to make it look neat on my head and I couldn't do it properly.

Ursula had been my doll head at home. A messy elegant bun. Looks great with a long gown, showing off the shoulders and decollete. Again, slightly messy looking because no products were used.
Hot rollers made her look like a poodle head here, so we styled it and headed downtown for a day out! Her puff is still less than perfect.

Definitely a wedding hairstyle. Yesterday's hair exam on (1) setting with hot rollers and (2) any updo. First time I used products and took my time. Puff is finally perfected! I'm extremely proud of myself this time around because I was actually able to create what I intended. Before this, I just wing it and do whatever to fix what's ugly and if the product looks good, then yay! But obviously I can't do that for a wedding if the bride wants a particular hairstyle. Instructor also commented on this being well done so *puff up* very proud!

Still planning my photoshoots but thinking of themes, locations, and finding photographers who wants to build their portfolio. I have a very particular vision on what I want the pictures to look like so it's tough.

So far models who have volunteered:
Leanne
Nicole
Gershom
Adam
Danielle

2 comments:

  1. i volunteered! a long time ago even before u started. oh wells i guess u forgot. but then since i work i guess i won't be available during your school hours. but if u ever need an extra model head/face let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! i've added you on the list

    ReplyDelete