Sunday, July 5, 2009

Back to blogging

A few years back I was a pretty constant blogger on Xanga. Something happened and my password was probably hacked but I couldn't get back into it so I just gave up on it altogether. Never been able to keep a diary for more than a couple of pages but type-ranting comes so much more naturally, and it's nice to share about what's going on with me to those who care to wonder where I've gone. Facebook certainly does not cut it.

So a bit over a month has gone by since I started my freelance makeup program at Blanche MacDonald. According to many, I've disappeared from the face of the earth since I started this program because it takes up all of my Sundays and Monday evenings. The rest of the time is reserved for work and whatever else needs to be done, including a lot of much needed rest. Now that work is over (somewhat, unless you include prepping for the next school year), I have a bit more relaxation time with a wee bit o' stress thinking about what I could be doing.

Last week, we finished up our module on makeup fundamentals. Paula was nice enough to be my model even though she had a late night, so I did my practical exam on her - a day look (45 min) and an evening look (30 min). I was really looking forward to seeing the pictures today and I got the disc from the photographer but turns out that they labeled the wrong one and gave me my classmates (her name is Elana) so now I have to wait until I get the right one back. Can't wait!! That was a bit frustrating. So since that module ended, we started hair and today was our first full day. Pretty...boring, actually. The class wasn't very structured so it was just like 8 hours of playing with a dummy. Some things I came up with randomly:

Up-do french twist on the bottom and randomly pinned curls up top.

Simple teased bun. Popular wedding hairstyle with some flowers and a veil.

Teased puffy top with french twist bottom.


Braids. First time I did an inverted braid so the shape shows more than the normal way I used to do it. Fingers weren't used to it so was a bit awkward but looks kind of 'juliet-style' which is kind of cool.

A lot of teasing and backcombing just for the heck of it (bored). Freaky, eh? But with a bit more work, it could look like something on a fashion runway =D

Jessie did this hair for me, trying to reduplicate what someone did on her for a wedding. It's pretty, but I straightened it so it doesn't look so formal when I left class. Now I'm rethinking cutting my hair, since I can be more creative with long hair.

What Jackie did on me the class before. I like the volume ^_^ My first real intro to backcombing.

So am I going to do hair after finishing this program? Eh...we'll see. I certainly know why a lot of makeup artists just stick to makeup. The 8 hour classes didn't seem so long until today. Sleep time.

5 comments:

  1. well good job on starting a blog. it's about time we see what you do in class. looks cool.... wonder what hairstyle i should do. for sure an updo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup i would post more pictures but the uploading is a bit slow. we should play around with some hairstyles

    nope td was over years ago! i've been teaching for the past year

    ReplyDelete
  3. elena, looks like the class is tons of fun :) + hard work of course ! love the hair styling.

    - tessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. yupyup the class is always fun though i like makeup more than hair so i wish i was doing that again. too bad we couldn't do it together!

    ReplyDelete