Thursday, February 11, 2010

Wishing upon a star...for these hot items!

Christmas has come and gone and whenever people ask me what I want for Christmas or on my birthdays, I really don't have anything particular in mind.  I just say....'uh...a gift card from good ol' RW&Co' or 'wait until I find something I want, then I will tell you' or 'I don't know, just get me anything'.  But throughout my day to day browsing and just seeing what's out there, there are tons of things that I really want to get my hands on!

Item #1 - Ben Nye Grand Lumiere Palette




Many people have seen this palette used by you tube makeup gurus like Michelle Phan.  I actually heard of Ben Nye products when I was at Blanche.  They are super pigmented and can be used for clown makeup.  The downside is that for someone on a budget, they are a bit pricey as one purchase.  Not that they're not a good deal.  For the size of the pigment and the number of colours, it's actually a great price!  Most places sell them for $65-75.  Bubba's Clown Supplies sell it online for $54 but with shipping, it adds up to $63 which is around the same.


Item #2 - Victorian Style Necklace



Etsy is a great site to find unique items.  Anyone who knows my taste in jewelry knows that I have a thing for antique styles.  This is a really pretty one.  It's $33 USD, not including shipping.  Will probably add up to $40 CAD. (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=40319440).  But it's so pretty and it's handmade!

Item #3 - Hakuhodo Brushes



Hakuhodo is a company that produces handmade brushes made in Japan.  They can be quite expensive, but the quality is incredible.  The brush above is one from their S100 Series, which is a more of a luxury line in the company. It's the one I really want - Pointed Blush Brush made from goat hair ($76 USD not including shipping).  The handle is made of wood and colored in beautiful vermilion, a traditional Japanese color. It broadens slightly toward the tip and is designed to fit perfectly in the hand.The ferrules are made of brass-rolled 24-karat gold with clear coating.  For a makeup artist, the tools are as important as the products.  I'm SOOO disappointed that they're not listed to be at IMATS in Vancouver, but they are going to be at the one in Los Angeles and Sydney *cries*.

*Side note*  I was using a powder brush, that came as part of a set, on my model for Monday's photoshoot.  As I was applying the Mac Blot Powder, the handle came right off the ferrule.  It was ridiculous.

Item #4 - Nicole Miller: Truly, Madly, Deeply Gown

Is this gown not absolutely gorgeous?  It comes in white as well!  I wouldn't mind wearing it as a wedding dress.  This gown reminds me of a mixture between East Indian saris and beach wear.  It's so soft and pretty with intricate prints.  The only thing that would hurt me is the price - $510 USD.

Item #5 -  DSLR Cameras and Photography for Dummies


I love working with photographers and such but sometimes finding a model and photographer and coming up with a date, time, and concept that we all agree on is difficult.  And oftentimes, I have a vision of exactly what image I want in my portfolio.  Sure, I can go out and buy a DSLR like everyone is doing nowadays, and just take pictures on Auto.  But I want to learn how to do it the real way.  I think the photography part is really a talent and each individual person is going to be different.  At this point, I just want to know how to work the camera.  Anyone know of any better books?  Classes?

Naturally there are many other items out there that I would love!  And as you can see, 3/5 of the items I listed are quite pricey and I would be reluctant to get them, hence I would like to receive them as gifts hehe.  For times like Christmas, it's nice to see tons of presents under the tree.  But I would honestly like to have one great gift and everyone pitched in a little, than have tons of tiny gifts that I'm probably not going to use anyways and will probably take up space because I never throw anything away.  So...what are your hot items? =D


3 comments:

  1. hmm guess the glue for the brush was crappy or it touched water. i say get the white dress and wear it as a wedding dress. $510 is cheap for a wedding dress!! i am still looking for a dress..le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was just a low quality brush in general =| Yeah $510 would be cheap for a wedding dress. have you thought of just looking for white gowns that aren't classified as wedding dresses? you can get some really nice ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes i have thought of just pure white gowns as alternative to wedding gowns : ) we'll see if i can find anything by middle march to april-ish.

    ReplyDelete